Tuesday, June 22, 2010

beautiful forspacious skies and amber waves of grain...

I hate America and I will tell you why.

If you have money, you are lucky and you dont have to deal with my problems. I have been working for Starbucks for the last few months... this in it self is an entirely different post/rant, but let me just say, corporate America is all about keeping you just below the amount of hours you need to receive health benefits. Starbucks allows its employees to attain such benefits when you consistently slave over steamed milk 20 hours weekly. It sounded like a wonderful thing to me... until I realized that my schedule was constantly changing-- one week 20.05 hours, then 15.00 the next. It kept happening... I brought it up and was told I just needed to work harder to get the hours... I did. Nothing changed. SO I started looking for a new job.

In the meantime I am currently on food stamps and my son is on medicaid. I also get vouchers for daycare that takes off $100 from my weekly bill. I still pay $63 and change. So I am told my voucher has expired and that since I already applied online for a new one, that I have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it-- the daycare then tells me that they need the bill paid in full so that he can continue going... if not, he loses his spot. So now I have to pay $163 a week until this voucher comes into play again. Fine and dandy, but I DONT HAVE IT. So I make a million calls begging and pleading "How do I get a voucher ASAP so I can quit Starbucks and start my new job?" and they tell me to go to the ELC which stands for Early Learning Coalition... a place far below the depths of hell... not to be compared with the heaven that is the DMV... no, no, the ELC is far worse in many ways. I go there... as directed. I sign up for a walk-in appointment. I am told right away that since my voucher expired I need to apply online. I told them I have, but I need this voucher to start my new job and cannot afford the daycare costs ---AND RENT---AND my PAST DUE POWER BILL... Thank the good Lord for the food stamps!
They tell me I need to leave and that they cannot help me until the application clears in 2-3 weeks. I cry and ask what I can do? They tell me to either apply and get approved for cash assistance or get an open case with DCF. I started hollering, "Why on earth would you rather have me on welfare then working my job and getting off the damn food stamps?" "You want to keep me on welfare, dont you?" and at that point they threatened calling the police on me for disrupting the waiting room.

I drove to DCF and asked them what I can do to get the vouchers and they tell me to open a voluntary case or apply for cash assistance. So with my back up against the wall, I reluctantly do it. I am so angry about this. within 12 hours I have a woman calling me from ELC telling me to come in ASAP as they have a voucher for me. Can you believe it???

All about numbers. The state needs open cases or people on cash assistance in order to get the damn funding to keep these idiots in jobs. Nothing changed... I just agreed to let the damn state into my business for X amount of months. Now I have my voucher in the morning and I can start my job without worry, daycare rates stay at $63 a week. If that isnt enough to make you want to burn down your father's store, I dont know what is... (that was a reference from "Life Goes On").

I started training my job this weekend, but really worked in my store today... I made more money this week already than in 2 weeks at Starfucks! So sad. I cannot wait until I can say goodbye to welfare and get on with my life. It will be a struggle to pay the rent this month and I am praying they dont shut off the power until next week at least... I cannot wait until next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment